Steve Kamb at Nerd Fitness wrote a spectacular article on happiness. It's worth reading the entire thing but here's the summary.
Here’s how to build the habit of making yourself happier:
A Nerd’s Guide to Success and Happiness | Nerd Fitness
- When you wake up, try meditating before checking your phone or turning on your computer. Even if it’s only for two minutes.
- Do what you can to spend your time on projects you love, and less time doing work that doesn’t make you happy.
- Spend less money on things and instead on experiences.
- Spend time each day in “the zone” on a passion, project, or activity you love.Build something, make something, do something.
- Incrementally improve your health, and reward yourself for it. Pick an activity or exercise to improve your physical wellbeing. You’re in the right place!
- Spend more time with people you love, and less time with people that drag you down. Don’t have friends or a partner? Work on your skills to find them!
- Be grateful every day for the things that have gone right. Keep a record to remind yourself of these things.